Small businesses are real India's lifeline. Small biz owners feel themselves at crossroads in a digital economy. They don't want to be feel as 'left-outs'. But are failing fast, often overlooked, and mostly underserved in 2022.
- Around 65% of India lives in small cities, towns, and villages.
- 93% of the total workforce is employed in the informal sector contributing to half of the nation’s GDP.
- Proprietorships (small biz owners) cover 80% of the taxpayer base for GST and contribute around 13% of the revenue collected.
And still, almost all small business owners are hopeless for the future.
So much so that their contribution in the economy has shrunk to a mere 15-20% in just three years.
Yes, it’s a positive change to an extent — we’re transitioning into a formal economy, everything’s being digitized, and more. But this lifeline is dying.
Many business owners are concerned about their future, others are quitting. And almost all small businesses are crying foul since demonetization. First Demonetization, then GST, then COVID. There are always talk of ‘mandi’ (slow recession) in the market, especially by small businesses. They're finding it hard to cope up, let alone grow. For many, their whole survival is at stake.
If you're also struggling for survival and growth, this page is for you.
The last decade hasn’t been much helpful for a small business in India. But we are known to be 'jugaadu' and enterprising.
There are a million challenges, but there are a few things every small businesses owner has— years of operational understanding, and personal relationships with customers. All these 'strengths' can be their way out to growth.
Many businesses have transitioned to the digital. But a large number of small businesses aversive to the ‘online way’, mostly boomers and old aged businessmen.
This page is my attempt at serving and helping small business owners like you. It is about time that you stop feeling left out, take things in your own hands, and enjoy the benefits of a connected, digital, and a booming economy.
I’ll keep updating this page with resources, information, tips, and hacks to turn your small business around without wasting a lot of time, money or resources.
PS: I won’t pitch you building a fancy website, start digital marketing, or sell on amazon (or similar solutions). That’s a promise.
The small business context
Digitizing your small business
- Why you shouldn't launch a website right away?
- How to start a Shopify Store?
- How to turn your Instagram Small business into an online store?
- ONDC: What it means for you as a business owner in India
Growth tips and recommendations
- Low-cost small business ideas suitable for India
- A no-nonsense, beginner's guide to creating a content strategy for your startup
- How to find your target audience customers online?
Tools and Platforms
Interested in a Free Tool to Get Your Dukaan Online?
Need more? Whatsapp on the Smallbiz helpline for free assistance, help or consultation.